Title: Exterior of the New School of Mines, University of Sydney
Creator: Henry King (1855-1923)
Description: Tannatt Edgeworth David (1858-1934) was appointed Professor of Geology at Sydney University in 1891, however on his arrival he found that the department was a one man operation, in a poorly equipped, weatherboard cottage which had previously housed the medical school. Edgeworth David persuaded the University Senate that new facilities were required to accommodate the expanding numbers of students taking geology classes. The New South Wales Government agreed in 1893 to establish a School of Mines on campus, the new building becoming ready for occupation in the Lent term of 1895.
Format: Black and white photograph
Archive reference: LDGSL/943/2-1
Image reference: 25-08
Recommended print size: Up to A4 (30 x 20cm)