Title: Reconstruction of Plesiosaurus macrocephalus
Description: Reconstruction of Plesiosaurus macrocephalus. Mary Anning (1799-1847) had found the first fossil of a juvenile form of Plesiosaurus macrocephalus at Lyme Regis in December 1830. It was named by William Buckland in 1836. William Willoughby, Lord Cole, later Earl of Enniskillen (and Fellow of the Geological Society), purchased the fossil in 1831 for the then massive sum of 200 guineas. The specimen is now housed at the Natural History Museum.
From: Owen, R. ‘Geology and inhabitants of the ancient world’, Crystal Palace Library and Bradbury & Evans: London (1854).
Image reference: 27-10
Recommended print size: Up to 10 x 8 inches (25 x 14cm)